Total Pageviews

Monday, April 3, 2023

I Live In A Tree Trunk, written by Meg Fleming and illustrated by Brandon James Scott. Harper, 2023. $24.99 ages 4 and up

 


"I live in a hive
      and dine out in a flower. 

I ramble in a bramble. 

I shower in a bower. 

I live in a desert."

In this amusing and entertaining companion to I Was Born a Baby (2022), we meet a host of animal babies who are happy to share the names of their habitats with readers. These animal homes are as diverse as their inhabitants, and provide a vocabulary lesson while also encouraging young readers to name names as they read the rhythmic, bouncy text. 

The format throughout presents a double spread with four youthful animals clearly stating the name of the home that is theirs. This is followed by a single spread with three new characters, facing a very surprised youngster whose home name is the same as only one of the three. Do others live in a home with the same name? WAIT! A turn of the page offers three others whose home is given exactly that  same name. Can you believe it? 

 "I live in a web. 
           (Tell me you're impressed.) 

My place is a stable. 

My place is a nest. 

Are you for SURE?
I had NO clue!
"

On it goes through a whole series of animals; most are familiar, a few perhaps not. The similarities win favor, and offer a chance to consider and discuss what other animal may live in the same type of home. The settings vary helping children build vocabulary and encouraging repeated readings. The final setting is a home for the children (and their pets) who have just spent time learning about the many cozy habitats that give animals shelter. 

Appealing digital illustrations attract attention and discussion. Endpapers front and back display each of the animals in its own environment, along with others that share it. This is fun learning. 
                                                                               


No comments:

Post a Comment