Total Pageviews

Monday, March 6, 2023

The Party Diaries: Awesome Orange Birthday, written by Mitali Banerjee Ruths and illustrated by Aaliya Jaleel. Scholastic, 2023. $7.99 ages 5 and up



"Now that I have my own business, 
I want to be professional. That means 
I have to figure out what I need to do. 
Then I have to get it done in time for 
Layla Aunty's Awesome Orange 
Birthday!

After planning a birthday party for her brother Sammy, Priya uses the private social media account her mother has created for her to post a few pictures. Layla Aunty is impressed and asks Priya to plan a party for her upcoming birthday. Priya is thrilled to be asked. 

If she wants to start her own business, there is much for Priya to do in preparation. First, she shares what she feels is important about herself and her family. Then, she takes the time to explain the process of planning for her first client, her mother's best friend. There are many things that must be done if the party is to be a success. Making a clear list keeps her on track. 

With help from family and friends, it comes together just as Priya had hoped it would. 

"I wish I'd gotten a picture of Layla Aunty's face 
when she first saw the living room. It was amazing,
like a heart emoji in real life.

Will there be more? I think this might be the start of something big. The second book is due in April, and Book 3 will be available in October. If you are looking for a new series - and you know how kids love to read books in a series - you might check this out. Written to appeal to independent readers, the text is perfect for grades 2 and 3 with high-interest topics, colorful illustrations on every page, and a promise of more to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment