Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 11, 2023

Ice Cycle: Poems about the Life of Ice, written by Maria Gianferrari and illustrated by Jieting Chen. Millbrook Press, Thomas Allen and Son. 2022. $25.99 ages 7 and up


"Ice Flows

Liquid water
Meets freezing air - 

On wood, 
Ice threads 
Grow hairs.  

On plants, 
Ice petals
Form flowers. 

In soil, 
Ice spikes 
Narrow needles.

There are many new words and much information about ice presented in the 11 poems penned for this collection. I found myself immersed in the beauty of the images and awed by the research that led to the writing of the poetry that introduces the many states of ice that I have never known. 

I found myself rereading the poems to ensure that I was fully aware of all they had to teach me. There are frazil and floebergs; cat ice and pancake ice; needles, columns, and dendrites. With telling artwork and extensive back matter, I feel I now have a better handle on what ice encompasses beyond the icicles that hang on eaves, the ice that turns into quick-moving chunks as the river begins to melt in spring, and the ice that covers sidewalks with its attempts to trip walkers up as they slowly maneuver wintry landscapes. 

So much more ... 

"Sea Ice Sprouts

Into ice rind
Anchor
Slush
Shuga
Hummock 
And bummock.

"brinicle: As seawater freezes into sea ice, it releases its salt, forming brine. Since brine is heavier and colder, it begins to sink. As it sinks, the water around it freezes, creating a falling spear called a brinicle, or ice stalactite. When the brinicle hits the seafloor, ice forms around it like a web, freezing everything it touches including sea stars or sea urchins."

Now, you know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment