Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 11, 2022

To My Panik: To My Daughter, written by Nadia Sammurtok and illustrated by Pelin Turgut. Inhabit Media, 2022. $18.95 ages 3 and up


"Panik, do you know how much I love you?
When I look at the horizon, past the vast
tundra, I see no end. That is how much I
love you.
" 

It begins with a question from daughter to mother about love.   

"Anaana, do you love me?"

The answer given is so much more than YES. The tender, loving mother details all the many things that she loves about her little one: eyes, ears, and lips are first mentioned. As she describes why she loves those traits, she explains that they remind her of the essential nature of their Arctic landscape and the traditions of the life they live there. 

There are many other attributes that Anaana loves as well: voice, personality, humour. Her love will never end. Imagine the joy seen in the little girl's eyes as she listens to the always uplifting reasons she is loved. 

"I love your voice. 
It's soothing, like a beautiful, comforting throat song.
"

Colorful, atmospheric illustrations provide a comforting setting that speaks to the beauty of the Arctic environment through its changing seasons. Discussion is sure to follow. There is much to see here.                                                                               


No comments:

Post a Comment