Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 14, 2021

A Kid is a Kid is a Kid, written by Sara O'Leary and illustrated by Qin Leng. Groundwood Books, 2021. $18.99 ages 4 and up


"I get asked why 
I'm so small. 

I'd rather get asked what 
big words I can spell.

I get asked where I 
come from. Here. I 
come from here.
"

I often wished I were a fly on the wall when school kids were involved in student-generated discussions. In this book, the talk begins outside on the playground when a new kid arrives and is asked a lame question. Observing that there are much better ways to learn about someone, a group of kids discuss the kinds of questions they are asked about size, hobbies, friends. To these kids, the questions are often offensive, and pretty meaningless. They would prefer to be asked about things that are important to them.  

As they move from place to place, readers get the feeling that friendships are being built through honest dialogue. Finally, the new kid asks the question that everyone on the playground has been waiting to hear. 

"Hey kid, do you want to play?"

What an excellent companion book to A Family is a Family is a Family (2016)! Sara O'Leary's text is relevant and attentive to the feelings of the children on the playground, and touches on a number of individual challenges experienced. Qin Leng's wonderful watercolor art helps readers see the emotion felt by every child, and gives each loving attention to their personal needs. These kids have much to share, if the right questions are asked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment