Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Zion Unmatched, written by Zion Clark and James S. Hirsch. Candlewick Press, Penguin Random House. 2021. $23.99 ages 8 and up

 


"Technically, I'm disabled but I refuse 
to see my body as less than whole. There
is a difference between not having legs
and believing you are missing something, 
and I can't miss what I've never had.

Inspiration for young readers comes from many different places. Zion Clark's story allows them to see the hard work and determination it takes to find the life you were meant to live. Zion was born without legs, given up for adoption as soon as he was born, and spent the first seventeen years of his life in foster homes where he was too often abused or neglected. It was never his intention to be less than he was because he 'was lower to the ground'. Adopted at 17 and encouraged endlessly to do what he believed he was capable of doing, he has done exactly that. 

"Whatever your physical condition, success is intentional. 
In my case, I began wrestling in second grade and lost 
virtually every match until I was a senior in high school. 
But that year, I finished 33 - 15. I also won the state 
championship in the 100-meter and 400-meter seated 
racing competitions. My goal is to compete in the 
Paralympics and bring home a medal for my mother.
"

It didn't happen this year. After reading about just some of his many accomplishments, I have no doubt we will hear his name in Paris four years from now. Filled with stunning photos, and meaningful quotes from exceptional people in his life, this book is sure to surprise readers with the many amazing feats of this very dedicated and relentless young man. 

There is so much more to know about him. 

Luckily, today launches the Netflix Original Documentary Short, ZION: Possibility Is a Question of Perspective. I know I will watch it, and I hope you do the same. 

Visit zionclark.com for further information.                                                                                  


https://youtu.be/CL7FDpAHUmA
 

No comments:

Post a Comment