Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

No Buddy Like a Book, written by Allan Wolf and illustrated by Brianne Farley. Candlewick Press, Penguin Random House. 2021. $22.99 ages 4 and up

 


"I visit any world I wish
and never leave my chair. 
There is no buddy like a book
To make me feel I'm there. 

So step aboard the Book Express.
It's leaving from the station.
The only ticket needed is 
your own imagination.
"

I know you are a reader if you are 'reading' this blog post. I know you must be interested in new books for children. So, I want to share this new book by Allan Wolf that speaks to the wonder of books and the power of imagination. If you are reading books to your students or your own children, you will already know how books impact a child's imagination and the stories they want to tell. 

Allan Wolf firmly establishes that premise in the words of his book, by sharing the learning they do and the many marvelous places children visit through the books they hear. 

"books are only smears of ink
 without the reader’s mind
 to give the letters meaning
 and to read between the lines.
"

Brianne Farley's 'illustrations were done using gouache, colored pencil, charcoal, wax pastel, and glue on mulberry paper and watercolor paper'. Each spread dazzles with imagined worlds open to readers. Detailed and always directed at the children and their learning, she fills her pages with all manner of interesting ideas and actions. 

I promise full engagement in the stunning double page spread that shows a brand-new night sky!                                                                                     


No comments:

Post a Comment