Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

This Book of Mine, written by Sarah Stewart and illustrated by David Small. Farrar Straus Giroux, Macmillan. Raincoast. 2019. $23.50 ages 3 and up


"To open it wide
and put my nose inside.

To read it aloud
and wish for a crowd.

To become the book,
now that this book
is mine."

I spend a good part of many of my days reading ... I am blessed. Blessed to have the opportunity, blessed to choose the books I want to read, blessed to have a love for reading and books that has been mine since I was a child. Books lift my spirit, teach me about the world, provide opportunity to live in the shoes (and hearts) of many, offer lessons in empathy and understanding ... and much, much more.

This book pays homage to the affinity between books and their readers. The gorgeous artwork shows characters of all ages and races and from different walks of life; each reaches for a book for their own particular pleasure. The children from the cover, a child at the library, readers in solitary, peaceful places with books in hand, a mother and her baby ... the scenes move from page to page with wonder and purpose.

"To think about what I
just saw -
then close the book
and try to draw."

On each spread, the book holds attention through the color of its cover. Young readers will find pleasure in the simple text and its accompanying illustrations. The couplets have a rhythmic tone that will carry the reader from page to page. The expressive faces of the readers show that reading unites them. It is a quiet celebration of the friendship felt between reader and book. Perfect for your favorite bookworm.
                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment