Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Why? Written by Adam Rex and illustrated by Claire Keane. Chronicle Books for Children, Raincoast. 2019. $23.99 ages 3 and up

"At the mall ...

Go ahead and RUN,
puny fools! No one
can withstand the power
of DOCTOR X-RAY!

Why?

Because of my X-RAY
Blaster and because ... "

If you live with a toddler, or any young child wanting to know everything about the world and how it works, you will know what is coming when you open this book to read the first few pages. You are sure to have answered an inordinate number of WHYs on a daily basis.

I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of my daughter and granddaughters next week. Sicily, closing in on 5, has mostly stopped asking her whys. Chelsea, just past 3, has not. So, I am preparing myself for endless questions about the plan for their visits, the trips we will be taking, the people who will visit us while they are here. It's going to be so much fun.

I know that I will read this book many times while they are here. Art and text work perfectly together in the presence of this tiny inquisitive girl and the man who threatens all mall shoppers. Both Adam Rex and Claire Keane know this child well. Chaotic action, lasting memories from childhood, humorous details and accurate expression keep listeners engaged and giggling. The feisty little one shows no fear concerning his threats. He continues to answer her repeated question, despite his obvious agitation.

"Even my dad
doesn't understand me.
He wanted me to be a doctor.
A real one.
Why?
Because he was a doctor.
Why? 
Because his dad was a doctor.
And his dad's dad was a doctor.
That's how it is in my family.
Why?
Because we all just did
what we were told!
So now it's my turn
to tell people what to do!
Why?"

Why, indeed? Poor Doctor X-ray! He hasn't got a chance.

The final spread is all you could ever want it to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment