Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 9, 2017

when's my birthday? Written by Julie Fogliano and illustrated by Christian Robinson. Roaring Brook Press, Macmillan. Raincoast. 2017. $24.99 ages 4 and up

"will my birthday be in spring?
will my birthday have some singing?
will we sing so happy happy?
will we dance around and round?
will we jump and jump and jump?

when's my birthday?
where's my birthday?
how many days until
my birthday?"

I have said it in previous posts - besides Christmas, the most important day for little ones is their birthday! Such a celebration it is for everyone. When Sicily recently celebrated hers, I asked how it felt to be THREE! She was quick to point out that, in fact, she was not THREE, she was three and a half. Yesterday she was two and a half. Today, older than that. Perfectly logical!

Julie Fogliano gets it! In her celebration of birthdays, she manages to capture the excitement in spare, repetitive text that will strike a chord with all who read it. I read it first to myself;  then aloud which upped the pleasure and sounded much better - filled with the anticipation, the joy, the plans, the slow wait, and the bubbly excitement for the day itself. I love that repeated phrase:

"when's my birthday?
where's my birthday?
how many days until
my birthday?"

So full of rhythm and absolutely in tune with a child's feelings as that special day gets ever closer.

As he has done in each of his previous books, Christian Robinson captures the essence of the text, using colorful, often surprising collage artwork. He fills the pages with all things birthday for little ones - balloons, cake, food, party hats, guests, gifts, candles and joy.

 Breathless and wondrous, spirited and energetic, it is the ideal birthday gift!
                                                                          
 

No comments:

Post a Comment