Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Benjamin Bear in Bright Ideas! A TOON BOOK by Philippe Coudray. Candlewick, Random House. 2013. $15.00 ages 5 and up


"It's my ball!
No! It's my ball!
No! It's MINE!
No, MINE!
BAM!
Whose ball is this?
It's his!
No! It's his!"

While you have certainly heard this kind of argument before if you have spent any time with children, you need to see the graphic artwork that Philippe Coudray creates to make the story work and for you to get a real charge out of it!

I have not yet seen the first Benjamin Bear book! But, I have no reason to believe that it will not be just as entertaining and wonderful as this one is! Each of the events is set on a single page in comic style. Each is a very, very smart short story which is also terribly funny. You will return to the stories again and again. I guarantee it!

Every one is a delight...full of fun, easy to read (visually and textually) and always surprising.
They happen in the outdoors, and most of them include Benjamin and other animals of the forest. There is so much to see and to appreciate. Each page has a title. They are perfect for those little ones just learning to read. But, the audience is much more varied than that. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the visuals, and will certainly be sharing it with anyone who should know about Benjamin Bear.

If you haven't seen Benjamin Bear in Fuzzy Thinking (2011) put it on your 'to be ordered' list as I am going to do as soon as I finish this post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment