Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 10, 2013

The False Prince, written by Jennifer A Nielsen. Scholastic, 2013. $7.99 ages 10 and up

"Mott began riding us back to the stables. The springtime night had cooled, and I shivered in my wet clothes. Mott must have felt sorry for me because he spent most of the ride instructing me on how  to manage a wild horse. Unfortunately, I had other things on my mind, so I missed most of the lecture. Too bad, because what I did hear actually sounded interesting."

Wow! I just finished this wonderful book and need to tell someone about it. It was one of those books that I stopped reading with about 30 pages to go. I didn't want it to end!

Knowing that I had its sequel on my TBR pile helped, and I am already almost 100 pages into it. But, stop! I want to tell you about the people who are the characters you will be delighted to meet. Sage is a boy with an independent nature, a mischievous manner and grim determination. He is one of the chosen ones; that is, Conner chooses him from an orphanage to see if he can meet the requirements for making him King of Carthya. Conner is a nobleman of the court, knows that he must find an impersonator and install him as a puppet for Conner to control before he takes over as ruler of his beloved land which is on the brink of a civil war.

Sage is not amenable to be treated as badly as he is being treated but knows that his life means nothing unless he can pass himself off as the heir apparent. Everything he does makes Conner angry and is a threat to his own life, but he will not go willingly to be Conner's pawn. The other orphans know that their lives are at stake if they cannot prove themselves worthy of the crown.

Danger, deceit, secrets, alliances and perpetual action will keep you glued to the chair you are sitting in until you have turned the final page. A twisting plot, wonderful characters, a constant feeling of unease will assure that you will do just what I did...not stop reading until the story is told!

No comments:

Post a Comment