Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Higher! Higher! Written and illustrated by Leslie Patricelli. Candlewick, Random House, 2009. $17.50 ages 2 and up


"Higher! Higher!"

There are few words of dialogue here, which just makes the story more appealing! As a little girl and her Dad arrive at the playground you sense her delight in the swings. As Dad pushes her higher and higher the sights grow more and more fantastic...she sees a giraffe, the windows and roof of a very tall building, a mountain climber at the peak, an airplane, a rocket ship and she finally connects with an alien space creature. They are friendly, with their hellos, high fives and goodbyes. As she comes back to reality, we can anticipate just exactly what her next request will be! I am sure that you will hear the same thing from your listener when you finish reading the book!

I remember being queasy when I went too high on the swings but it never stopped me from trying it again and again. I thought that sometime I might just flip right over the bar at the top. Never did I imagine that I might fly as high as a building, a mountain or an airplane flies. For those who always dream bigger, this book will take you right where you want to be. The artist provides clues to what's next, and the little girl rides on. What a delightful book to share with our youngest listeners; but its joy won't be lost on those a bit older. After all, they will have stories to share of their highest pushes!

No comments:

Post a Comment