Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Madame Badobedah and the Old Bones, written by Sophie Dahl and illustrated by Lauren O'Hara. Walker Books, Candewick. Penguin Random House, 2024. $24.99 ages 6 and up


 

"We looked at each other in the eye. I 
could see he was in great pain. In my 
marvelous handbag, I had the juice of 
the plant that I had earlier extracted
and some twine. I knew what to do.
I asked him permission with my eyes.
I reached into his great mouth and could
see that offending tooth a mile off. I tied
the twine around it and gave it a yank and
 - boom - out it came.
"

Mabel and Madame Badobedah have had adventures prior to the ones in this new book from Sophie Dahl. They both love deeds that encourage them to push themselves to bigger and better things. Mabel is keen to know everything about their Mermaid Hotel guest, and to be a party to her escapades. After combing the beach together for treasure, Mabel is lucky enough to find a coin to wish upon ... 'I wish for a big adventure'. The next day, Madame Badobehdah invites Mabel to open but one of the drawers in her 'dressing table of dreams'. Mabel is intrigued and delighted to hear the two stories that materialize. 

One concerns a triceratops with a toothache, in need of tooth removal. Madame manages as best she can to help and does. The other is about an item she borrowed and forgot to return. The two will have to use their most daring skills to return the emerald to the Natural History Museum without anyone knowing. While there, they meet the triceratops from long ago, still grateful to Madame for helping him when help was so sorely needed. What an adventure they've had! 

Their spirit for adventure is evident in endearing watercolor artwork that acknowledges the joy they find in being together. Lovely!  

keep our eyes sharp and our hearts open‘ is the advice Madame is willing to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment