Total Pageviews

Monday, July 24, 2023

I'd Like to Be the Window for a Wise Old Dog, written and illustrated by Philip Stead. Doubleday Books, Penguin Random House. 2023. $24.99 ages 4 and up


"Oh, I don't know, 
           no, I don't know
but I do know that ... 

I'd like to be
      the warm sun 
      blanketing a buffalo
"

I'd like to be ... 

There are endless opportunities right outside our windows. Using the imagination in this thoughtful book results in the varying points of view that could come from a wise old dog. Young readers will be intrigued by the ideas shared in three-line observations as the book begins, then followed by delightful wonderings that result from thinking about the seemingly unanswerable questions posed. 

"Will I ever be
the tumble of a honeybee?
"

Encouraged by further statements that allow the narrator to voice whimsical wishes, children are sure to come up with some ideas of their own. 

"I'd like to be 
        the hollow 
        of an owl's oak tree
"

Back and forth from being to wondering, Philip Stead creates signature artwork to invite his audience to consider the world outside the window from inside the comfortable environs and warmth of home. Readers will pore over the natural scenes sure to inspire their own questions, and thinking. 

Have you ever wondered what it might be like to be someone else?  

"Oh, I don't know, 
               no, I don't know,

but I do know that ..."                  

I LOVE THIS BOOK!                                                             


No comments:

Post a Comment