Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 11, 2022

My Life Begins, written by Patricia MacLachlan. Harper, 2022. $21.00 ages 8 and up

 


"I put the Trips in their cribs - one, two, 
three. 

I take out my notebook and watch them
from the half-closed bedroom door. 

"The Trips

I put them in their cribs. 
I watch them sit up and play. 
Then Liz yawns.
And they all yawn. 
Soon they will "fall into sleep" as Mimi says.
And they do. 

- Jacob"

I am going to miss reading new and remarkable books from Patricia MacLachlan. She had such a way of creating family stories that lifted hearts and honored her beloved characters. She will be missed by many.

In this new book we meet Jacob, an only child whose most fervent wish at 9 is to have a new puppy. He is sure that a new puppy will make him less lonely. Jacob is in for a very BIG surprise in his life. No puppy for now; instead, three babies. He has known that the family will soon grow. His parents have assured him that the arrival of the triplets will change his life, and bring much happiness. Jacob is not convinced. 

Their names are Charlotte, Katherine, and Elizabeth. Jacob calls them The Trips. Little does he know what awaits him. He names the time following their arrival, My Life Begins. 

"I am only nine, remember. But I can tell right 
away that it will be my job to study and train
the Trips. My mother and father are too tired 
for that.

His life does change immeasurably as he steps up to carefully watch and record the many milestones that his sisters reach. Studying the triplets for a school project, Jacob is ever-conscious of the growth, learning, and unique personality of each sister. Jacob is an admirable and nurturing brother. Patricia MacLachlan has proved time and again her expertise at writing meaningful, heartfelt stories. She does it again with this lovely book. 

This is a tender story worthy of family time reading with a young audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment