Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 2, 2022

Away With Words, written by Mary Ann Hoberman and illustrated by Perry Hoberman. Little, Brown and Company, Hachette. 2022. $23.99 ages 7 and up

 


"CONTRACTIONS

I'll for I will
I've for I have 
I'm for I am
For Madam use Ma'am.

Do the letters we drop
When someone shortens a word
Feel somewhat unhappy 
Or is that absurd?

I know how I feel 
When I'm left out of things
I know it seems silly
But, oh, how it stings!
"

I have been a fan of Mary Ann Hoberman for many years. Hopefully, any school poetry collection includes some of her books. In this collection, she takes a close look at the way we play with and use words. In more than 50 poems, she looks at a wide variety of subjects that include the alphabet, assonance and alliteration, grammar, puns, punctuation, the rhyme and rhythm in words and phrases, family, word choice, and fun. 

It's important to share poetry with children in school and at home as often as possible. Poetry gives them a clear look at how words work, alone and together. It introduces children to new ideas and concepts. It shows them how to use words to paint pictures, and lends drama for many occasions. 

This poem would make a perfect mentor text for observation and writing, and a wonderful way to encourage critical thinking. 

"ME 

I have an arm
       And a chair does, too! 
I have a leg 
        And a table does, too!
I have an eye 
         And a needle does, too! 
I have a mouth
          And the river does, too! 
I have an ear
           And the corn does, too! 
I have a head 
            And a bed does, too!
I have a neck 
             And a bottle does, too! 
I have a foot
             And a hill does, too! 
I have an elbow
              And a pipe does, too! 
I have a shoulder 
              And a road does, too! 

The chest (of drawers) 
The trunk (of a tree)
The heel (of the bread)
They're all like me! 
It's mighty strange,
Don't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment