Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 27, 2021

I Sang You Down From the Stars, written by Tasha Spillett-Sumner and illustrated by Michaela Goade. Owlkids. 2021. $19.95 ages 2 and ups

 


"With care in my hands, I sewed your first 
star blanket. With each stitch, I whispered a 
prayer for you and thought about wrapping 
you up warm and safe, just like you are now
in my belly. 

Into your bundle it goes.

This beautiful story of anticipation for the birth of a baby begins with the mother's love for her unborn child. She does not have to know the child to feel love and joy. 

"I loved you before I met you. 
Before I held you in my arms., 
I sang you down from the stars.
"

Knowing the baby has chosen her, she begins to collect sacred items to be placed in a medicine bundle. Everything placed there will have special meaning for the child, its connection to its heritage, and its own identity. Family and loved ones also help to prepare for the little one's arrival. 

A spring birth ends the child's journey from sky to earth, and the sacred medicine bundle is gifted. A star blanket wraps the baby in love and warmth. An eagle feather speaks to the beauty in the world. Cedar and sage offer spiritual strength, and a river stone is a reminder of the stories the land shares. The child is welcomed by many family members who will provide love, support and teaching. 

"You brought them so much love and joy. 
I saw that you, my baby, are also a 
sacred bundle.
"

Graceful, lyrical language is accompanied by soft, soothing, watercolor and mixed media illustrations that shimmer with light and love. If you are looking for a gift for a family with a newborn, this would be a cherished selection. 

Both author and illustrator include notes that speak to their own cultural beliefs. That is why I can share this marvelous book with you today. Ms. Spillett-Sumner chose to 'shine a light on the traditional understanding of my Nation, the Inniniwak, and many other Indigenous peoples globally: that babies choose their parents'. 2021 Caldecott winner Michaela Goade adds that she comes 'from the Tlingit Nation - People of the Tides - and Tasha belongs to the Inniniwak Nation, where they identify as People of the Stars. Exploring new traditional stories and looking up at the night sky was deeply inspiring'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment