Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

In My Anaana's Amautik, written by Nadia Sammurtok and illustrated by Lenny Lishchenko. Inhabit Media, Fitzhenry & Whiteside. 2019. $16.95 ages 2 and up

"In my anaana's amautik, 
it feels cozy. The way the
material swaddles me feels
like being wrapped up in
soft clouds. I love snuggling
up inside my anaana's amautik.

In my anaana's amautik, I feel
calm. Her scent reminds me of
flowers in the summertime. I
love breathing in the smell ... "

How lucky to have a child share the joys of being tucked in a mother's parka hood. No one else can possibly understand what it is like. Many mothers in northern climates wear parkas with such hoods. It keeps the mothers safe and warm when cold winds blow, and a child who is carried there experiences the wonder of its warmth. 

Poetic, precise writing gives a sense of each of the blessings that come from being so close to the child's beloved parent. The warmth of being 'wrapped up in soft clouds', the mother's scent, the protection afforded while there, and the delight found in the love exhibited make clear the many benefits of such transport. Who could ask for more than that?

Each turn of the page provides a glimpse of the contented child basking in the beauty of the senses. The textures and soothing colors are chosen well to accentuate the simple text. A repetitive opening on each page adds to the serenity of the relationship between the two. The northern landscape creates an awareness for the need to wear such clothing when transporting a child from one place to another.

Intimate and serene, this lovely book is an ideal read for little ones at bedtime, or anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment