Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

I'm The Big One Now!: Poems About Growing Up, written by Marilyn Singer with illustrations by Jana Christy. Wordsong, Penguin Random House. 2019. $22.99 ages 4 and up

"Now, I wouldn't cry
for a toy in a store.

Or after a game
'cause I got a low score.

Or out in the yard
if my favorite pants tore.

But things like beestings?
Well, that's what crying's for!"

The kids who can describe themselves as 'the big one' will gleefully celebrate the benefits that come with growing up. There are many: taking the bus to school alone, riding a bike, whistling, being quiet in the theatre and LOUD at a ball game. Kids who are doing those things the children presented here are doing know they are the big ones, and they are proud of it!

"HOW DELICIOUS! 

I am sniffing the ink and smoothing the paper,
    remembering when I bit covers and licked pages,
    when I thought words were something
           to eat.
But today,
     today instead,
     I READ.
And I didn't use my teeth or tongue,
          like some hungry beast
to gobble that scrumptious alphabet feast."

There are many forks in the path that leads from being the little ones to becoming the big ones. The 21 poems written to celebrate such change and growth are as diverse as the children who share their stories in a a variety of poetic form. A three part poem about learning to ride a bike will certainly remind some young readers of the struggle that such an accomplishment can be ... and the bold feelings associated with achieving that independence.

The digital artwork is filled with color, expression, and movement. The scenes are friendly, accomplished, and joyful. The children represent a diverse community group who have much to be proud of, and who celebrate their many milestones.

No comments:

Post a Comment