Total Pageviews

Friday, April 19, 2019

No More Poems!: A Book in Verse That Just Gets Worse. Written by Rhett Miller with art by Dan Santat. Little, Brown and Company, Hachette. 2019. $23.49 ages 10 and up

"Nose hairs are gross hairs
We all know it's true

Ear hairs are weird hairs
They're pretty gross too

But ...

When one long hair grows
From a mole on your nose
Man, I feel sorry for you "

Some people are going to love this book; others will not. With its irreverent humor and broken rules concerning grammar and punctuation, it will find favor with middle graders who love to scheme, and who see many adults as not quite as flawless as they would like kids to think.

They will surely capture attention. Rhett Miller starts with a boy who uses a type of 'secret karate' to deal with flushing the toilet.

"My secret karate is practiced in private
In public bathroom stalls
I don't mean to brag but my balance is awesome
I never touch the walls

I don't have a name for my potty karate
I might call it Tae Kwon Doo
Or maybe I'll say I'm a third degree black belt
In the top secret art of Kung Poo"

He goes on to consider an alarming case of purple pox, brotherly love, the lure of the 'device', nose hairs, weirdos, twins, bathtub space, a plea for a dog, homework, baseball, stinky mouths, wrestling, a disco bath party, nighttime blues  ... and so on. All subjects you might think of interest to a middle grade audience.

Dan Santat ups the appeal at every turn, with brilliantly expressive mixed media art. He creates unforgettable characters who bring each and every poem to life. From the girl trying to convince her parents that she needs a dog by using a projector and a 55 page presentation, to the terrifying visage of an over-zealous baseball coach whose kid finally puts him in his place, to the mysterious 'bubbles' in a bathtub full of boys, Mr. Santat uses every inch of space to entertain and delight readers.

Here’s “My Device” read by Dan:

https://youtu.be/Rj4ugFHXiPc

I laughed out loud on numerous occasions, and have gone back to read some of my favorites. Some adults who read the book will be offended, and surprised by the dark humor. So, read it yourself before you read it to others. Kids will love it! It is from their perspective ...
                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment