Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Wordy Birdy Meets Mr. Cougarpants, written by Tammi Sauer and illustrated by Dave Mottram. Doubleday Books for Young Readers, Penguin Random House. 2019. $22.99 ages 3 and up

"Get comfy, readers.
This might take a while.

I love this trail
and I love that stream

and I love this cloud and
I love that cloud

and I love my backpack
and I love the view and I ... "

There are times when learning a lesson takes longer than we might think it needs to take. In her first adventure, Wordy Birdy let her talking get her into trouble. Not just any talking ... she talks incessantly! I'm sure you know someone like her. I was going to say a 'little one' just like her, but talkativeness doesn't seem to be confined to children ... at least, not in my world.

Talking too much gets many of us into trouble. Wordy's friends are very patient with her, listening as she chatters on and on. She is oblivious to much of what is going on around her, and the feelings of exasperation as the day moves from sunshine to shadow, and sleep beckons. Her friends go to bed. Wordy does not. She needs snacks. Her friends close their eyes after all the munching and crunching. Wordy does not. There is so much to see, and much to wish for now that it is fully dark.

Quiet is what everyone else wants. Wordy does not truly understand that concept. When a cougar comes calling, looking for a 'nice, quiet dinner', his visit is cut short and he rushes away with hunger in his belly. You know who's responsible, don't you?

The speech balloons, and the friends' cynical asides will delight and charm young fans. The setting will garner discussion and attention. Dave Mottram's wonderfully expressive and funny illustrations are a perfect match to the text. This would be a fun book for partner reading, and for a most enjoyable read aloud in any early years classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment