Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

The Creativity Project, edited by Colby Sharp. Little Brown, Hachette. 2018. $22.49 ages 8 and up

"PROMPT
by Victoria Jamieson

I remember ...
This one is easy. Set a timer for five minutes. At the top of the sheet of paper, write the words "I Remember." For five minutes, list as many things as you can that you remember. They can be good memories, bad memories, funny memories ... "

I was happy to share this guide for young writers in workshops that I presented this month. It is a great mentor text, giving teachers and their students a way into trying their hand at guided writing. It should also encourage them to consider creating prompts of their own for themselves and their classmates to use.

It began with Colby Sharp, a fifth grade teacher from Parma, Michigan. He invited 42 authors and illustrators to provide two writing prompts. These were then given to another person from the group to use as inspiration for a short story, poetry, a comic, or an art piece. After choosing one of the prompts, the remaining one was returned to be placed in a section at the back of the book for consideration by those who buy and use it. Choice is at the heart of the assignment.

Colby Sharp is an enthusiastic supporter of literacy as you can see in this video:

https://youtu.be/Aiu6ujRmal0

This was my introduction to Colby, and I have followed his work since then. His dedication to children and the books they read is exemplary and has led him to learn more and more as he attends conferences, plans NerdCamp every summer and contributes to a podcast called The Yarn. I was keen to see this project completed, and am happy to be able to share it with you.

Having listened to many of the contributors to The Creativity Project speak in conference workshops triggered him to think about the kids he was teaching and realize that  “tomorrow’s writers are sitting in my classroom, and they need support and encouragement. We need to get them started; we need to get the wheels turning.”

Who better to use as mentors than these aspiring creators?  'From her home in Minneapolis, Kate DiCamillo reported that she was already hard at work on her prompt. “I am sitting in my office with the door closed (and with the privacy door-hanger engaged) and my thinking cap on my head,” she wrote. “I just threw the confetti up in the air and it is drifting down around me as I type these words. I might look ridiculous, but I feel hopeful. And that is a good thing – a creative thing. Here we go!”'

The responses are as varied as the contributors themselves. The inspiration that can come from their work for young and aspiring writings is limitless.

This one comes from Kirby Larson. Why don't you try it?

"It's a school morning and you come downstairs for breakfast as usual
but to a quiet kitchen, which is definitely not usual. You look around
for your family and spy a letter leaning against the box of Cheerios.
You open it and this is what you read: "

Back matter provides a quick biography for each contributor.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment