Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Animal Antics, written by Derek Harvey. DK Publishing, Tourmaline Editions Inc. 2014. $15.99 ages 7 and up

"A Gentoo penguin loves nothing better than surfing the waves as it returns from a feeding session out at sea. Speed is important for catching fish and escaping predators - but also when launching out of the water for a quick landing on the beach. The Gentoo's torpedo-shaped body is perfect for these antics -..."

I love it when I get a new box of books from Chris at Tourmaline. The exceptional books from DK that are part of the shipment make me want to sit right down and learn!

So, that is exactly what I did when this last box arrived; and the first book that I looked at was this one. Who could ignore that amazing cover? Each double or single page spread has a full color photograph and a titled paragraph to describe what is happening in that photo. As happens with well-done nonfiction books, readers can page through them at random, stopping to read anything that captures their interest.

I found myself going from page to page; not doing any flipping at all. The text boxes are not overwhelming, the information shared is accessible and encourages readers to always move forward learning as they go.

I didn't even know what bee-eaters were, but I stopped quick when I saw a branch sporting nine identical birds, all snuggled up:

"Snuggle up!

Company is especially important when you need it to keep you warm. On their own, little bee-eaters would find the early morning too chilly - so they huddle together to keep warm.

As new ones land on the perch they do little side steps until they are tightly packed together, all facing the same way - but with one keeping lookout at the other end. Many birds in the row belong to the same family group. Sometimes they do this when the weather turns dull and cloudy."

Now, I need to know more about t bee-eaters. So, I am off to check it out and see what I can find! It didn't take long, and I learned a lot. Isn't that the best thing about reading books? What you learn makes you want to learn more!

Billy goats in treetops, frogs using toe disks for traction, a turtle traffic jam, lions dancing, elephants playing in the mud...need I say more? Don't you just want to get your hands on this book, and take a look for yourself.

An index will help you make a quick return to your favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment