Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Worm, written and illustrated by Elise Gravel. Tundra, 2014. $12.99 ages 7 and up

"The worm is a long animal
that's shaped like a tube. It
doesn't have a SKELETON
or a spine: it's an
INVERTEBRATE.
It also doesn't have any legs.

SO WHAT?
If I had legs,
I'd have to buy shoes!"

So, we meet a worm with attitude. We also get to know him far too well. I will admit I am not nearly as disgusted by the earthworm as I am about the fly. I wonder why that is?

Reading this simultaneously published book from the Disgusting Critters series, I did add to my knowledge of the legless wonder that is 'basically a long digestive tract inside a muscle tube. It's that
muscle tube that's slimy and disgusting!" The worm is not happy with that description; that is, until it suits him later in the book.

Humorous, as was the first book, this provides information that may not always be familiar to readers (isn't that the real joy of nonfiction?). Some of the various types of worms are introduced, their size, their habitats and even a bit about their evolution. Here an obviously elderly worm, with beard and rocking chair, complains:

"Back in my day, kids RESPECTED earthworms!"

Take that!

If you are looking for books that will teach while entertaining, and that are just right for early readers looking for information, this would be a perfect choice. You will have fun reading it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment