Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Night Before Christmas, written by Clement C Moore with art by Barbara Reid. North Winds Press, Scholastic. 2013. $19.99 ages 3 and up


"He was dressed all in fur,
from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all
tarnished with ashes and soot.
A bundle of toys he had
flung on his back,
And he looked like a
peddler just opening his pack."

Do you think it's true that everything old can be new again? I can't tell you how many different versions of Clement C Moore's Christmas classic  I have read and shared. I can tell you that I am a dedicated fan of Barbara Reid's extraordinary art. Put the two together, and you definitely have something old made brand new!

You are in for a truly wondrous time when you share her new book with your loved ones! From the shooting star in the deep blue winter sky that graces the endpapers, to the many charming details found on each and every page you will be captivated and in awe of her talent to take Plasticine and work her own kind of magic for this well-known poem.

There is nothing I can tell you about the poem itself, as you are sure to be familiar with it. I hesitate to tell you much about the illustrations because I cannot possibly do them justice. You have to see them for yourselves to really appreciate the impeccable work that goes into their design. I will tell you this: Ms. Reid has reimagined the story using mice as the characters who welcome St. Nick on Christmas Eve. They are exuberant as they hang their familiar gray work socks and trim a tiny tree which is set in a thimble. They giggle and cavort. Their home is a cozy wooden log, and their house is full.

Every tiny detail is intricately designed to delight her audience. I found myself going back again and then again to see what I had missed the first time. There is so much to see and savor!

Don't miss it!                                                                  


No comments:

Post a Comment