Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 6, 2010

We Are The Ship, words and pictures by Kadir Nelson. Hyperion, H B Fenn, 2008. $21.99 all ages


"Seems like we've been playing baseball for a mighty long time. At least as long as we've been free. Baseball's the best game there ever was. It's a beautifully designed game that requires a quick wit, a strong body, and a cool head."

So much has been written about this amazing book that I wonder why I want to add to the accolades. But, you cannot look at baseball books as I am doing today and not mention it. It is, without a doubt, one of the most compelling and memorable books I have read in the past year...and I read every single word of it! I am a baseball fan of sorts; I know something about the sport, like to watch it on televsion, and even enjoy the occasional visit to the ball park (for the beer and hot dog!). Once I started reading it, I was drawn to it again and again.

I knew that Kadir Nelson was an outstanding artist. I had no idea he was such a talented and compelling author as well. He has certainly left us with no doubt about that.

So, as we say goodbye to another football season tomorrow and fervently wish that the groundhog had not seen his shadow ensuring six more weeks of winter, I will leave you with three books that inspire you to think ahead to spring training, to warm sunshine and to brats and beer at the park. It won't be long!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment