Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Singing for Mrs. Pettigrew, written by Michael Morpurgo. Candlewick, Random House. 2006. $22.00 ages 10 and up


“ I don’t remember why my mother had to go to the hospital. I’m not sure she ever told me. She did explain that after the operation she would need a month of complete rest. This was why she had to arrange for me to go and stay with Aunt Mathilde, my mother’s older sister, in her house down in the south, in Provence.”

My friend Don was very excited to see a copy of this book! He heard Michael Morpurgo speak earlier this fall and has so much to share about the wonderful writer that he is, and the truly fine person as well. Don has always loved his writing, but now has even more praises to sing about the former Children's Laureate of Britain.

In this collection which is subtitled, A Story-Maker's Journey, the author shares short stories, essays, and commentaries on his writing life. He talks about all aspects of writing with his audience and even reveals what his inspiration was for the tales included. He shares the 'hows' of his writing life and then includes many of his favorite tales. They are set throughout Europe, from Provence to Venice and to Morpurgo's hometown. What a literary journey it truly is! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment