Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Just the Right Size, written by Nicola Davies and illustrated by Neal Layton. Candlewick, Random House, 2009. $17.00 ages 10 and up


"In fact, there are very strict rules that control what bodies can and can't do. These rules keep creatures from getting too big, and because of them, the real superheroes are usually small - a lot smaller than humans."

Most mathematical concepts are somewhat complex for my brain...I think I have an aversion to things mathematical, except perhaps spending money. Great writers can take such ideas and make them somewhat understood by my non-math brain. Nicola Davies always does that for me. I just hope that this book reaches kids who would be interested in such fascinating rules as the BTLT one which states: 'If you double the length of something, its surface area and cross section go up FOUR times, while its volume and weight go up EIGHT times!' Too many math words for me to grasp and understand. Luckily, she goes on to describe what that means in terms that I get!

Some of the questions answered are commonly asked ones. Why are animals different sizes? Why can't big animals fly? How can small animals be so strong? But, how many people ask them? This book will appeal to those who constantly wonder about the world and love to fill their heads with facts that others might not know...great for conversations and sharing at some point, I suspect. The creators are not new to making books that deal with intriguing subject matter...most recently notable are poop and parasites. You will be entertained and informed when you read this book! And, you might want to look for others by the same team...they will fill your head with much intriguing information.

No comments:

Post a Comment