Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Micheal Rosen's Sticky McStickstick, written by Michael Rosen and illustrated by Tony Ross. Candlewick Press, Penguin Random House, 2023. $24.99 ages 5 and up


"A few days later, 
they said that I had to give up the walker. 
I had to use a walking stick. 

I was scared. 
I thought I would fall over. 
I called my walking stick
"Sticky McStickstick.
"

This new book from Michael Rosen has some similarities to Michael Rosen's Sad Book (Candlewick, 2005), in that it provides a picture book memoir of a very difficult time for him. Now 76, he describes the after-effects of his contracting COVID. It was March 2020 and it required his being hospitalized and put into a coma for forty days. Following that time, he had to learn to walk again. 

To say it was a difficult process would surely be an understatement, as he chronicles in this book. He was very weak, and had no ability to get out of bed on his own, or walk. First, he had to learn to stand, then walk with assistance between parallel bars. After using a walker for support, he was furnished with a cane. That cane, he named Sticky McStickstick. Sticky became his constant companion as the learned to walk the halls in the hospital and get up and down the stairs. The last test before he was able to leave was to walk unaided. 

Sticky McStickstick was allowed to go home with him to his family. Once there and under the watchful eye of family members, he proved capable of doing what he had done previous to his illness. 

"I can climb the stairs
without holding the banister. 

I can make a cup of tea 
without leaning on the cupboards. 

I can walk to the park to meet up with my son, 
his wife, and my granddaughter.
"

Sticky McStickstick waits nearby in case needed, and is a constant reminder of all the kind people who helped Mr. Rosen make a full recovery. The text is written in a personal, clear voice and in short statements; the artwork by Tony Ross is familiar for fans, often funny, and full of energy. 

An author's note is added. 

No comments:

Post a Comment