Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 3, 2022

Violet Velvet Mittens With Everything: The Fabulous Life of Diana Vreeland, written by Deborah Blumenthal and illustrated by Rachel Katstaller. Princeton Architectural Press, Raincoast. 2022. $24.95 ages 6 and up

 


"I was perfectly happy when I was dancing.
That's why I was dancing all the time. 

Along the way, I
found out something 
marvelous. 

Everyone who has style shares one thing: 
Originality! 

That means being you 
and not copying anyone else.
"

I did recognize Diana Vreeland's name prior to reading this new picture book biography. I knew virtually nothing about her, beyond the fact that she had made her name in the fashion world. Through her imagined voice, I have made new discoveries about her, as will any reader interested in fashion icons and the lives they live or have lived.  

Ms. Vreeland was born in Paris in 1903. It was a time when much attention was given to fashion, art, and music. Diana and her sister flourished in that atmosphere until the family abruptly moved to New York City to avoid the terrors of World War I. Once there, she discovered a devotion to dance. She also dealt with her mother's contention that she was plain. That observation only encouraged her to create her own personal and eccentric style. That decision held her in stead for the rest of her life. 

She speaks honestly about her style and the lessons learned about fashion and color, and about her career - first at Harper's Bazaar magazine, and then at Vogue. 

"I saw things 
other people didn't see. 
Pink grass, 
green sky, 
and a scarlet sea
in a special light. 
Can you imagine?

No, I cannot; Diana could and did. 

The author adds further information in back matter and includes resources for any reader wanting to know more about Ms. Vreeland. 

You gotta have style. It helps you get down the stairs. It helps you get up in the morning. It’s a way of life. Without it, you’re nobody. I’m not talking about lots of clothes.

 https://youtu.be/Rh8-6PRiyso                                                                                          


No comments:

Post a Comment