Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

I Am a Peaceful Goldfish, by Shoshana Chaim and Lori Joy Smith. Greystone Kids, 2021. $22.95 ages 3 and up


"Then I let out all my air 
to make bubbles in my bowl. 

I have an idea, too! 
I'm a mighty elephant. 
I take a slow, big breath in.
"

The two children in this book about mindfulness are not having a great day. It's easy to see why: an upside-down ice cream cone, broken toys, their cat harassing the goldfish. They are both rattled, and need to calm themselves. 

One has an idea. Their imaginations and mindfulness training kicks in. What could be more peaceful than a goldfish? A slow breath, and a full release of all the air in the lungs. Things begin to settle. His friend imagines being a 'mighty elephant' taking a deep, slow breath in, and then letting out a quiet trumpeting sound as the air is released. 

Together they create peaceful scenarios that even cause the cat to relax on the lawn. Their practice is working, and things are calming quite nicely.

"Now I'm a 
growing flower. 

I take a slow, 
big breath in and 
stretch to the sky. 

Then I let out all my air
and bring my hands to my heart." 

Children need practice in finding the calm, just as adults do. This book helps them with ways to use their imagination to promote a sense of serenity on tough days, when they are feeling overwhelmed with various emotions. Digitally created illustrations add a touch of humor and show emotion, while also offering images of intentional practice at bringing a sense of peace to the day. 

 Useful in classrooms and at home, these are skills needed when faced with difficulties in daily life. Read and practise; read and practise. Just breathe ...                                                                                      


No comments:

Post a Comment