Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Smart George, written and illustrated by Jules Feiffer. Harper, 2020. $22.99 ages 3 and up

 


"George said, "First, you have to walk me."
So she walked him. 
Then, George's mother said, "Three plus three
equals what, George?" 
Geor
ge said, "It's time for my nap." 

I have been reading Bark, George (Harper, 1999) for twenty years. I love it as much today as I did then. It has a valued place on our 'keeper' shelf and is read often when my granddaughters are here. 

Now, I can read them a new story about George. George is not keen to play a math game with his mother. Every question she poses is met with a new request from her son. First, it's food, then a walk, and then a needed nap. His snooze sparks a dream about trees and counting. The questions are now posed to him by a long line of trees, and a cat. George shows that he can add one tree and one tree to get the right answer. 

The trees are not ready to stop there. So, they keep asking their questions and trying to trick George into showing how 'smart' he is. He continues to offer excuses for not playing their game, just as he didn't want to play along with his mother. The trees cajole, managing to move George forward from to 1 to 5. Adding three more trees has George chasing his tail, then a cat. The cat gets involved, as do the pig, the cow, and even George's vet! 

"My vet?
I don't want a shot. 
I want my mother.

We all know you're smart, George.
Now show us you can add up to ten.
"

He does! After waking from his nap, he excitedly asks his mother to take him out for a walk so he can show her how all the trees add up. She reminds him that in the city they don't have many trees. No matter. George knows just what to do! 

Immediately recognizable to kids who know his first story, this is a book that they will want to hear. Jules Feiffer knows little kids and here he encourages them to try their hand at math, too. They won't be able to resist. Making each of the trees a different color is the perfect way to get his audience involved, and to keep them on track while adding independently.

I love the familiarity of the artwork, the speech balloons, and especially George! 

No comments:

Post a Comment