Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 31, 2020

A World of Mindfulness. From the Editors and Illustrators at Pajama Press. 2020. $19.95 ages 3 and up

 


"I can hear birds and breezes
and a dog barking. Even 
with my eyes closed, I know
where I am.
"

As the Pajama Press team led by Gail Winskill did in A World of Kindness, they again combine stunning artwork with sensitive text to help young children find 'warmth, peace and hope' in difficult times. As 2020 winds down with a fervent hope for a better new year, this is a book that will resonate with all families. 

The table of contents lists the artists and their place in the book. Each illustration is complemented by text that brings awareness to the senses, emotions, and circumstance of the children presented. Readers are encouraged to use their senses, as these children do, to pay attention to their world, their thoughts, and their feelings. 

The artwork is created in a variety of media, and is beautifully rendered to bring a sense of calm and to empower readers to take note of the world that surrounds them every day. The well-chosen words offer a chance to think about self, nature, feelings, movement, and place in that world. 

"I know who I am. I am someone
who sees, smells, hears, tastes, and 
feels the world around me. I know 
where I am. I am here.
"

Read slowly. Look carefully. Feel the calm as the world moves from one year to the next, with hope for better and a plan to find joy in the small things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment