Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 10, 2020

I Am A Capybara, written and illustrated by Michela Fabbri. Princeton Architectural Press, Raincoast. 2020. $24.95 ages 5 and up

"But I was talking about me.
I'm a capybara, and I love
living simply.

I like to observe things and
their poetry. Yes, I love poetry,
even without writing or
reading it.

I like to share.
I like to see the world go by ... "


Who better to describe the capybara than said creature itself?

So, this one does just that. First, he lets readers know what he is not: a mouse, beaver, bear or marmot. He is a rodent ... and by the way, the biggest one in the world. That is not all ...

While mistaken for a dog, at times, he most assuredly is not a dog. There are many breeds of dogs, capybaras do not differ in looks. They are all the same. A pair of carefully captioned images follow to show exactly how the two differ.

He then proceeds to tell readers the many other traits that make him the individual that he is. He presents his own perspective on many aspects of his personality in a clearly-stated, conversational tone that may lead to quiet giggles.

"Have I told you about my love for water?
Bathing, plunging, swimming underwater!

Capybaras are excellent swimmers. We can
spend hours and hours in the water and we
are able to fall asleep floating."

Using this book as a mentor text for voice and description would work well with middle graders. They will be able to separate the facts from fiction, and may find in it a successful way to present research of their own. Hopefully, it will also encourage further learning about an unusual creature.

Colored-pencil drawings, accentuated by thin textural lines done in ink, keep the star of the show front and center. This is a witty and endearing look at a South American rodent that few readers will know.

 https://youtu.be/DYGz3xqiR2U
                                                                         


No comments:

Post a Comment