Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 18, 2020

I GOT YOU A PRESENT! Written by Mike Erskine-Kellie and Susan McLennan and illustrated by Cale Atkinson. Kids Can Press, 2020. $18.99 ages 4 and up

"So I decided to write you
a birthday jam! I practiced
it all day and night.

Sadly, I made a
musical mess instead of
a spellbinding song.

That's when I thought of
the magic kit, I bought it.
Wrapped it up. And hid
it in a special place ... "

Another book about birthday gifts, you ask? Yep, this one is too much fun to leave for another day. The duck whose story it is to tell is very excited about the party and the presents. Everyone is carrying a present, and he would like to have one as well. But, there is a problem ... or a few of them.

It seems that every idea considered 'presents' a problem. Knitting socks is not as easy as one might suspect. Carrying a ten-scoop ice-cream cone obviously would be problematic, even though it is a great idea! The list goes on, and nothing seems to be exactly right. Even the magic kit disappears. (He has hopes it will show up in time for next year.) Other ideas falter. No matter the inherent 'wow' factor, something happens and each new idea goes kaput!

"So, then I bought you
a rocket ship. You could
explore space and find
the dinosaurs.

But on my way back home from
the rocket ship store -
KABLAM! Friendly martians
crash-landed. I gave them
your rocket ship to get
home. You'd have
done the same."

And so, there is no gift from Duck - nothing! Or is there?

A debut picture book for this husband-and-wife team, it is inventive, expressive, and fun to read. Cale Atkinson's colorful, detailed, and energetic illustrations add to the humor and appeal. Don't miss Duck's plan for next year's celebration.

Then, be prepared to read it again. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sal, Mike Erskine-Kellie here. I just wanted to say thaks for this sweet review.

    ReplyDelete