Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 8, 2020

I'm Brave! I'm Strong! I'm Five! Written by Cari Best and illustrated by Boris Kulikov. Margaret Ferguson Books, Holiday House. Penguin Random House. 2019. $24.99 ages 4 and up

"I see someone talking on
his phone.

I see Mr. Spock. He's rocking
his baby,

And Mrs. Bock.
She's playing the piano.
Her eyes are closed.

But mine aren't."

Little ones can be very frightened when faced with going to bed on their own. In this reassuring book, the story has been read, the jokes told, and kisses bestowed. It is time for Mama and Papa to leave and let their young daughter settle in for the night.

It turns out she is not tired enough to just close her eyes. Luckily, she has a flashlight to keep her company. There are noises coming from outside her window - a phone ringing, a baby crying, a piano playing - a lot of noises that need her attention. And, there is a brilliant moon's eye to cause some alarm.

She knows she can count on her parents to allay any fears she has. Rather than call them, she puts on a brave face, musters her courage and closes her curtains. Now, there are shadows. Again, she could get help, but ...

"I didn't call Mama. I didn't call Papa.
I did everything myself. Hooray!"

What a right of passage this is. A problem solver in the very best of ways, this little one finally succumbs to the sleepiness that comes from making the best of the situation and proving she can do it alone.

Boris Kulikov uses watercolor, ink, tea, and acyrla gouache to create the detailed images that show the only briefly disquieting moments she faces as she brings bravery to the forefront and manages to go to sleep on her own. TADA!

No comments:

Post a Comment