Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

A Good Kind of Trouble, by Lisa Moore Ramee. Harper, 2019. $21.00 ages 10 and up

"I want to be alone. I can't believe a minute ago I was trying to find Isabella so I could say I'm sorry. I used to think I was super lucky because some people only have one best friend and I had two. But what do I do when my two best friends have both done me dirty? The bottom row of bleachers is pulled out, and I sit down and stare at the crowd of laughing, dancing people and want to bury my face in my hands. The slow song ends, and a good fast song starts."

It's seventh grade, and life is about to dish out some challenges for Shayla. Always the good girl who never wants to even think about it, trouble finds her as she navigates school hallways and a growing willingness to stand up for what she thinks is right.

As luck would have it, Shayla is blessed with parents who listen to her and support how she is feeling. At school, her coach and other teachers quietly do the same. Bernard proves to be just the kind of friend she needs when her alliance with Julia and Isabella faces some major blips. The book exposes many of the challenges that rear ugly heads in middle grade - relationships with both girls and boys, friendship, identity, activism, and unfair decisions about following rules. 

Shayla's first person narrative exposes her inability to see her own behaviors while complaining about the actions of others. She is, however, a very sympathetic character as she experiences the emotions of growing both socially and personally. It is hard for her to come out from the safety of her past views and stand tall when faced with injustice at school.

Ms. Ramee tells her story of a brave middle grader with humor, and with an abundance of heart. Shayla is not on an easy path. She is painfully aware of the Black Lives Matter movement and waiting to hear the verdict in the police-shooting of an unarmed black man. Appalled at the verdict, she must make a decision to decide if trouble is worth her taking a stand. She does her best to do the 'right' thing, all avenues considered: Shayla chooses to wear an armband in support of Black Lives Matter. That breaks school dress-code rules, or does it really? Breaking the rule provides lessons for Shayla about courage, having a voice, and friendship. Shayla's story is timely, personal, and unforgettable. Absolutely a book to be read in a middle years classroom.

I never knew walking right into trouble would make 
me feel strong. Maybe it has to be the right type of 
trouble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment