Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Beverly, Right Here. Written by Kate DiCamillo. Candlewick Press, Penguin Random House. 2019. $19.99 ages 10 and up

"Don't wait for me," said Beverly.
"I can't stand to think about you
waiting for me."
"I waited," said Iola. Her glasses
slipped down her nose. She pushed
them up with one finger. "Just
because you can't stand to think
about something don't mean it ain't
happening, that it ain't true. People
wait on other people. People rely
on other people." Iola's glasses
slipped down again ... "

I met Beverly when I read Raymie Nightingale three years ago. While reading that book, I learned about 'The Three Rancheros'; three girls who found each other while competing in a ‘Miss Central Florida Tire 1975’ pageant.They were ten, all in it for a different reason. Their friendship grew, and I was sad to say goodbye when I was finished reading their story. Though I wanted to, I was sure I would not meet up with them again.

I was wrong, and so happy to be. Last year I read Louisiana's story, Louisiana's Way Home. It gave me hope that I would come to know Beverly as well. Happy I am to tell you about her story in this post.

It's 1979, and Beverly is 14. Her dog, Buddy, has died and she sees no reason to continue living with her mother. She has run away many times before now; this time she makes good by leaving. She has no plan to return. She does have a plan to live life on her own, depending only on herself and no one else. She hitches a ride to Tamaray Beach, Florida where she quickly finds a job busing tables in Mr. C's restaurant. Needing a place to stay, she is lucky enough to meet Iola Jenkins. Iola is an elderly woman, living alone and needing someone to drive her to Bingo. Beverly stays.

In spare and heartfelt text, Ms. DiCamillo focuses on Beverly's view of the world around her. Time passes. We are witness to the relationships she has with Iola, with the restaurant staff, and with Elmer, a kind and artistic teenager who works at a nearby convenience store. We know how hard she works to remain independent, while finding herself drawn to these new people in her life. Beverly enjoys the tiny moments, the friends she is making, and savors the company she keeps. It is a world she did not know, given her many difficult experiences. Though reticent to share her life with others, and unwilling to open her heart to moments that matter, the slow growth of the true meaning of family brings this wise and gracious tale to a reassuring and hopeful end. BRAVO!

No comments:

Post a Comment