Total Pageviews

Friday, March 29, 2019

New Kid, by Jerry Craft. Harper. 2019. $18.99 ages 10 and up

"We didn't even come CLOSE 
to winning. In fact, we lost 11-1!
But my goal was the first one that
a fifth's team had scored in seven 
years! And it was the ONLY ONE 
that we could score all season.

Still, I ended up liking soccer a lot
more that I thought. It was nice
being on a school team. Who knows
- maybe I'll even go out for a spring
sport ... "

Jordan is an artist whose dream is to go to an art school. His parents want him to go to a private school where the opportunities will bode well for his future. Being a seventh grader pretty much leaves him at the mercy of parental decisions. So, Jordan is enrolled at the Riverdale Academy Day School; must leave his neighborhood to attend; and faces new kids, new environment, new teachers, and all the angst that naturally comes with adolescence as he begins his year.

His bus trip to school means a shift in outfit and attitude as he passes from neighborhood to neighborhood. His journal entry describes the ride:

"Fitting in on the ride to school is hard work!
I have to be like a chameleon.
For example, in Washington Heights,
I try to look tough.

Inwood is a little different, so I can lose the hood.
No one ever smiles in the morning, so you won't catch
me doing that either!

Kingsbridge is where all of the public school kids get off,
so it's okay to take off my shades. I can even draw!

Last comes Riverdale, where I do my best not to look cool
AT ALL! No shades, and definitely no hood. I don't even like
to draw 'cause people might think I'm going to use my
markers to "tag the bus"!"

It's an exhausting way to start his day, and indicative of the changes from home to school. Have I mentioned that Jordan is one of the few students of color at Riverdale? It makes for interesting and often trying times. He is frustrated by the bias, privilege, racism and other minor indignities felt even when unintentional. He uses his journal to bring focus to what is happening at school and at home, dealing honestly with what he is feeling.

It is tough work for Jordan, living in two worlds and trying to make the best of both. His friends are as diverse as the school life he is living. Secondary characters are authentic middle graders, accurately portrayed in small and large scenes that will resonate with those who choose to read this novel.  No one escapes assumptions often made.

The graphic form allows time for discussion and careful thought. Issues uncovered will be recognized by many students, and they are sure to feel Jordan's pain as he does his best to find his own place and fit in. He is a mentor who motivates others by being open to friendship with many, and who wants to talk about those things that require serious thought and action. Luckily, there are many humorous moments; these help to alleviate the tension in some of the more serious scenes. It helps to remember that every student has a battle of their own to fight. Jordan shows that being kind can make all the difference. 

I think every middle years classroom should have a copy of this exceptional graphic novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment