Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Story of Silk, written by Richard Sobol. Candlewick Press, Random House. 2012. $21.00 ages 6 and up

"The silk produced in Thailand is woven entirely by hand and has a rougher, more free-form texture that reflects the craft of each artisan who works on it. Each piece is unique to the village that created it. This individuality has added to Thai silk's reputation as some of the finest silk in the world."

I love it when I learn something new that I can share with others. I do know how much I love the look and feel of silk, I knew some small bits about silk worms but nothing compared to what I know having read Richard Sobol's new book in the Traveling Photographer series.

I read his The Life  of Rice: From Seedling to Supper (Candlewick, 2010) and was impressed with the research he did to write it and the clear, informative photographs he took to accompany the text. Now, he does it again...and it only makes me more determined to find the other books that he has done and take a look at them, too.

This time his story of silk has an intriguing and sure-to-entice subtitle: From Worm Spit to Woven Scarves. Who wouldn't be drawn to know more? As unappealing as it may seem, it is worthy of checking out, don't you think?

So, I did. And I was amazed at the work that goes into making silk. In this account it happens in a Thai village called Huai Thalaeng, and Richard is a returning visitor. He is welcomed heartily, and invited to see what happens when the rice is harvested and the farmers have nothing to do:

I asked the farmers how they would spend the next few months until the rainy season and the rice growing process started up again. They answered with a single word: "Worms." Worms? I asked if I had heard correctly. "Yes, worms!" the farmers replied. "Millions and millions of worms!"

They are needed to make silk; and Mr. Sobol recognized a new book in the making.  He offers his readers some historical data concerning the legendary discovery of the beautiful thread and the fabric that could be made with it. When he arrives in the village, the children are on holiday from school. While the boys continue their studies, the young Thai girls help with the work that produces their village's silk.

His photographs are most helpful in sharing the process, and his personal reflections and shared learning help to make it real for  his readers. There is much to learn:

"One by one, the looms begin to shuffle up and down, long reels of silk unwind, wheels start to spin, and kettles of hot water come to a boil on open charcoal fires. All the stages of creating silk are happy at the same time! Everywhere I look I see something interesting happening, and I hardly know where to point my camera."

His many photographs make evident every step in the process: the baskets of mulberry leaves, the silkworms happily eating their fill, the cocoons, the pots used to boil water, the fibers as they are stretched onto spools, the looms and the end result...so unbelievably beautiful!

I didn't know I was interested in knowing the story of silk until I started reading this most engaging book. Now, I feel like quite the expert, thanks to Richard Sobol and his enlightening new book. Thanks for that, Richard!

No comments:

Post a Comment