Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Ruby Red, written by Linzi Glass. Puffin Canada, 2007. $12.99 ages 12 and up



"It seemed suddenly incredible to me that, just by changing school colours, I became someone else. A chameleon of sorts. I now wore a new skin that would make people look at me in a different way - I was now a Steunmekaar girl in a uniform that got me accepted in their community. And I wondered how I would be treated if I went home with Loretta in my maroon-and-gold English school attire? Was it our colours that opened and closed doors to us?"

Ruby lives a privileged life in Johannesburg. The colour of her skin in apartheid South Africa offers her many opportunities. For others, the reality is very different. Colour closes many doors to them, and to their dreams. Soweto is a far cry from the luxury that is Ruby’s life. There, hate simmers like a steaming pot of soup and anger is palpable. Ruby can’t resist the blue eyes of the Afrikaans boy who steals her heart, but who also causes others to question her sanity. They obviously do not approve of her interest in him. She does not seem to see their differences, but everyone else does. Sad yet hopeful, this well-told story informs us historically and causes us to stop and think. What more can we ask? Much discussion will result when this book is shared with middle and high school students.

This thought-provoking book was shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal. Linzi Glass was born in Johannesburg and lived there through her teen years. Her story is told with the authority of someone who knows her subject well and with authenticity and great respect for those who must face adversity because they are different.

No comments:

Post a Comment