Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 11, 2020

In My Garden, written by Charlotte Zolotow and illustrated by Philip Stead. Neal Porter Books, Holiday House, Penguin Random House. 2020. $24.99 ages 3 and up


"In the FALL what I love best in my garden 
are chrysanthemums. 

Of course there are other things I love in my 
garden - the tree turning red and golden brown, 
the wild wind blowing and the squirrels 
gathering nuts. 

But what I love best are the chrysanthemums, 
tangled and shaggy and smelling like spice. 

This lovely book was first published in 1960, and is an homage to the seasons and the pleasures they bring. There are two speakers. One is an older woman in a red raincoat. She speaks to the joys she finds in her garden as the seasons come and go. The other, a young child in a a yellow raincoat and red boots, loves each season for a different reason, all related to play. 

"In the fall what I love most to do is rake leaves. 
Of course there are other things I like to do 
in the fall - buy new sweaters and skirts and pencil
boxes for school, and pick the ripe golden pears
from my tree.

Philip Stead has created amazing images. "The artwork for this book was handmade using oil-ink linotype techniques and carbon transfer printing." He places his characters in warm natural surroundings that speak to the peace and contentment they feel as they explore and enjoy their world. Young readers will pay full attention to the tiny black kitten that accompanies the young girl.  

In the following video, Mr. Stead describes the process he uses to bring these characters and their world to his readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment