Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 1, 2020

Dear Mr. President, written by Sophie Siers and illustrated by Anne Villeneuve. Owlkids, 2019. $18.95 ages 8 and up

"Dear Mr. President,

I'm writing you a letter from my
bedroom. Sadly, the room does
not belong only to me. I have to
share it with my big brother, who
exactly fits your description of an
undesirable person.
I watched you on the TV news
tonight, and you said you were
building a wall. It made me think
that perhaps I need one too."

I did get a little chuckle today when I heard that some panels of the wall being constructed between the United States and Mexico were blown over by strong winds. It reminded me that I should tell you about this book that has to do with a different kind of wall - or is it?

The president's announcement that a wall is needed to keep people out has Sam thinking that the two are in equally untenable positions. So, he writes a letter describing his own predicament. That first letter is followed by others. His parents do not agree with the idea of a wall, and tell him so. There will be no bedroom wall.

Kids at school are equally unimpressed by the idea of the president's wall. Sam thinks they should spend time sharing a room before being so opinionated about it. Each of his letters to the president provide information concerning his lack of progress with making the wall he wants a reality. A talk with his father and brother, practice at building walls in the backyard, a complaint to his mother about his brother's continued behavior, and reporting on the progress he is making on a wall project assignment at school have no effect. Regretfully, the president makes no response. That does not stop Sam.

While he spends time with his grandmother, the family spends time trying to find a solution for the impasse between the two boys. Upon his arrival home after the visit, Sam takes note and reports on it to POTUS.

"Dear Mr. President,

There has obviously been some "dialogue" while
I was away. My brother is using words like
"harmony" and "spirit of sharing" and suggesting
that a wall is not needed.

I, however, remain unconvinced.

Later,
SAM"

Turns out that communication and negotiation make a big difference to Sam's ability to see the other side. As the brothers work together to make their situation amenable to each other, Sam writes a final letter, offering advice based on the lessons they have learned.

"I feel a bit silly changing my mind, but my brother says
it's cool, and Mom said she admires a man who admits
when he's wrong.

Dad didn't say anything.

Anyway, good luck with your wall.

Perhaps a small one would do?

Best wishes,
SAM"


Anne Villeneuve's signature watercolor images are humorous and telling. The addition of tiny aliens is not lost when reading this book and thinking about the state of the world at this time. They also offer, as does the story, a spirit of hope for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment