Total Pageviews

Friday, April 5, 2019

HOME RUN, TOUCHDOWN, BASKET, GOAL!: Sports Poems for Little Athletes. Written and illustrated by Leo Landry. Henry Holt and Company, Macmillan. Raincoast. 2019. $23.50 ages 4 and up

"Ice Time
My skates are laced.
I've got my stick.
The ice is very cold and slick.

The goalie stands
Inside the net.
He wants to block my shot I bet.

I pass the puck.
You pass it back."

It is not easy to find sports poetry meant to be read by young children. Leo Landry has changed that with this poetry collection that is accessible and entertaining for little ones. He covers a wide variety of the sports that are available for childhood participation.

He begins with gymnastics, in a poem that hits all the high notes for kids who love being in the gym and trying activities that require stamina, balance, and team work. He moves on to lacrosse, karate, cycling, hockey, basketball, swimming, football, tennis, skating, soccer, and baseball. Nope, he doesn't cover all those sports that kids might choose in their time away from school. That makes the chance of penning a similar book realistic for the future.

The poems give a quick look at the way the sport works, while encouraging cooperation and team building.

"Brrr!

I love to glide upon the ice
And dance upon my skates,
From axels, quads, and spirals
To amazing figure eights.

I dream about a perfect "10"
And taking home the gold.
But now I want my sweater
For I'm getting rather cold!"

Fairly simple poetry, accompanied by watercolor and pen-and-ink images of familiar and simply drawn athletes in particular surroundings, never mentions the name of the sport itself. This leaves readers the opportunity to decide for themselves what it might be. If they can't figure it out, there is another opportunity for learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment