"Even though
the new trail feels
like a little change to
Grammy Slug, it feels
like a big change to Snail.
And big changes make
Snail feel anxious.
We can play I Spy
along the way. It'll
be fun!
I do love I Spy ... "
I do hope you have met Snail prior to today. This book is the fourth in a series and fans will know that Snail is happy to live a life without much change. He likes to call it 'living a little'. There are things he loves: a tv that's not too loud, reading with a best friend, staying up a bit late when Grammy Slug comes by. Life is good.
Whenever Grammy visits, they follow a set routine as they catch up on each other's news. Grammy is much more adventurous than Snail is. She likes to talk about old times; she also likes to try new things. Seeing a new and unexplored trail is very exciting for Grammy and she encourages Snail to try it with her. As they play I Spy to distract from Snail's reluctance to take part, they suddenly spy a HAND!
That hand is determined to rescue Snail. It takes him away from Grammy and plops him on a bed of moss. Not able to see Grammy and scared, Snail retreats into his shell. In the meantime, the hand is doing the same for Grammy. Fortuitously, Grammy is plopped down on Stump, Snail's best friend. While Snail stays inside, he hears outside voices belonging to his neighbors and tells them his story which is exactly what has happened to them. They are all just wanting to be home. It's Snail to the rescue! Despite a small setback, Snail takes his task to heart and all's well that ends well.
Readers will cheer for Snail as they enjoy the tender, detailed and humorous images created by Kelly Collier.


No comments:
Post a Comment