Total Pageviews

Monday, January 14, 2019

The Itchy Book, by LeUyen Pham. Hyperion Books for Children, Hachette. 2018. $10.99 ages 6 and up

"OUCH! 

STOP! WHAT are 
you doing?

I have an itch. 
I want to scratch it. 

Read the sign!
"Dinosaurs do 
not scratch." 

What? Piggie and Elephant, and dinosaurs, too! Who can resist that combination?

In this fifth book in the Elephant and Piggie Like Reading series, Piggie and Elephant do their introduction in classic style:

"Gerald! Do you like books
that make you feel things?
I do. 
Do you like books that
make you feel things
all over?
I DO! 
Then, I have a book for YOU!
"The Itchy Book"?
I feel you will love it!"

A message on a rock reads DINOSAURS DO NOT SCRATCH. The turtle snoozing there is surprised to hear what the passing dinosaur reads. The dinosaur is intrigued with this new learning and makes herself the keeper of the knowledge. When a passing dinosaur bends to scratch a knee itch, she is quick to put a stop to the action. Itches are NOT to be scratched, as it the sign instructs.

With each new 'itcher' comes an admonition to be TOUGH, and hang in there together. That is what dinosaurs do, after all. No matter the temptation to ease their suffering. 

"Even if I touch you with
the tip of this feather?
I can take it! 
Even if I throw
fresh-cut grass
on you?
I'm tough. 
Wow, you are tough! 
Even if I put one itty
bitty ant on you?
I'm rough. 
Ooooh, I really 
need to scratch!!!"

The testing doesn't even stop there! Then, comes the big surprise.

Are you itchy yet? Piggie and Elephant certainly are!!!

There is such charm in the characters, fun in the brightly colored artwork, and humor and expression in the color-coded speech bubbles that move the action forward. Perfect for getting kids excited about reading great books.

No comments:

Post a Comment