Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Mort Ziff Is Not Dead, by Cary Fagan. Puffin, Penguin Random House. 2017. $18.99 ages 8 and up

"Mort Ziff?"
"You've never heard of him?
I guess you're too young. Mort Ziff
was a famous comedian. He played
all the big nightclubs. He had his
own radio show, back before there
was television. And then when
television came, he used to be a
guest on The Milton Berle Show.
I remember that he moved out here -
they used to call him the Mayor ... "

It is 1965 when Norman enters a shopping mall contest and wins! The prize is one thousand dollars, and Norman's parents agree that the money is his to do with as he pleases. No one else will have a say in how he chooses to spend it. True to their word, they let him make the decision to take the whole family (his parents, his two older brothers, and himself) to Miami Beach at Christmas time. Norman wants to see the ocean, and to enjoy the sunshine!

Their home for the week is the Royal Palm Hotel, and it is pretty special - for a few reasons. Opulent and comfortable, boasting proximity to ocean waves, terrific food, and a slew of other guests. Among them is a family from New Jersey - the Horvaths. The irony is that the Horvath family has three girls, all matching the ages of the Fishbein boys. Rivals from the beginning, they are soon immersed in attempts to outdo the others. Norman and Amy, the youngest of the siblings, do not want any part of the constant bickering and strike up a friendship which they keep secret.

Entertainment in the dining room is provided by Mort Ziff, an aging comedian. Norman and Amy have a mutual admiration for the old man, enjoying his dry humor. When his spot in the dining room is usurped by a Beatles wannabe band, the two take action. They arrange with the outlandish owner of the hotel to have Mort perform in the coffee shop, a little-used small restaurant in the hotel. Wanting it to be a success so that Mort can continue working and living at the Royal Balm, they enlist the help of their siblings to advertise his gig. Good for them!

This is a funny, fast read. I love the old-timey family feel of it. It is cleverly written, very entertaining, and tender. Norman's first person voice gives the story heart. Mort Ziff is stand-out and makes for many enduring moments. Read it aloud to your family or share it in your classroom. You will not be sorry.

Here's proof that Mort is not dead!

"So tell me, how's the food? I ate here about ten years ago. But I'm better now, thank you.

I went to the shoe store today. The salesman tried to put a shoe on me. He said, 'You sure have a very large foot.' I said, 'I know, but it was the only way I could match the other one.'

I ran into a man I know. He said, 'You know, when my wife and I had our baby he was very cute. But as he gets older he gets a little uglier every day.' I said, 'Well, did you expect him to look like you all at once?'"

No comments:

Post a Comment