Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Wednesday, written and illustrated by Anne Bertier. Enchanted Lion Books, Publishers Group Canada. 2014. $21.95 ages 3 and up

"Pine tree, house!"

"Stop, Big Square,
I can't do it!"

"Look at me, Little Round,
I'm the color of the sky
and the sea!
It's so great! I'm waves
and mountains."

When I opened this book, I was immediately reminded of one of my old 'favorites' -  Little Blue and Little Yellow (1959) by Leo Lionni, an author whose work I shared with my own and my kindergarten children over many years.

Using shapes, size and color, Anne Bertier invites her readers to take a close look at friendship and disagreements. It's Wednesday, and Big Square and Little Round are set to play their weekly game!
It goes like this:

"As soon as one of them says a word,
they transform themselves into it."

All goes well, as it has done before, until Big Square wants to make bigger and bigger images, ignoring his friend's ability at transformation. Circle is adamant that Square is showing off, and refuses to play. Being alone isn't much fun; Circle suggests a compromise:

"What if we both think of things together?"

It works:

"Little Round becomes cheeks,
wheels.

Big Square becomes a hat and a coat."

Friendships aren't always easy. Often it is in compromise that a new reality is found. Anne Bernier uses two vibrant colors, strong graphic detail, and understated emotion to help young listeners open a discussion about conflict and cooperation.

Imaginative and entertaining, you won't want to miss it. Now, get out the paper and scissors and let their imaginations soar!
               

No comments:

Post a Comment