Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 15, 2010

My Mom is Trying to Ruin My Life, written by Kate Feiffer and illustrated by Diane Goode. Simon & Schuster, 2009. $18.99 ages 4 and up


"Here are five ways that my mom is trying to ruin my life.
WAY #1
She kisses me in front of my friends. She
doesn't just kiss the top of my head. That
would be bad, but not so bad. My mom
gives me kisses all over my face."

Ah, I remind my kids every day that I will ALWAYS be a mother! And mothers do some strange and funny things, thinking they are doing what's right for their young 'uns.

In Kate Feiffer's story, the young narrator feels embarrassed by the many ways her mother has of showing that she loves her and thinks of her first. Mom does so many things right, but it is tough to keep those ministrations at the forefront when she also does five things that drive her daughter cuckoo.

A plan is made to stop her mother and it must work! She creates a hilarious scenario for escape. At the end, the mother faces jail time for trying to ruin her daughter's life. Her one phone call is to Dad. He has his own little idiosyncrasies in terms of his daughter and how she lives her life. Luckily, his drawbacks end at way #3! This is perhaps cause for jail time, as well.

With both parents in jail, some problems arise.

The family that Diane Goode creates is straight from the 1950s. Matching outfits, crinolined skirts, ponytails, and a single ceiling light bulb for the police investigation add much to the humor and spot-on storytelling that will have audiences giggling and then dreaming up their own escapes from parental control.

A great readaloud and the perfect way to get the ideas flowing and stories shared!

No comments:

Post a Comment